Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Women -- Today, I'll wear blue


It is March 8th in the United States of America, and as I understand it:

I am supposed to prove my worth as a woman by going on strike

I am supposed to seek the appreciation I deserve by ignoring what I am supposed to do

I am supposed to stick it to those who neither appreciate me or value me by wearing red...

and throwing my family, my job and my world into chaos!

Now, let's just take a moment to think about this.

Who can afford in this economy to not show up for work? That's just downright irresponsible! And what about all those people that we serve, let's say school children (girls and boys) who will lose a day that could have been intellectually productive? And, healthcare professionals (nurses and doctors, administrators, etc.) who will put their patients (men and women) at risk by not showing up for their shifts. How will they justify that in the name of self-importance? Or, or the female government officials who will walk out of their floors of the Senate and Congress in just a few minutes? What about the women constituents they represent, and the men, who they will have a day without effective government?

Women, do you want to be appreciated? Do you want people -- men and women -- to appreciate what you do?

Then, DO IT WELL!

This strike is selfish and foolhardy. Your silliness only hurts people. Women do not belong to a selective organization that strikes; we are a vital part, dare I say the heart of society!

This movement makes women look like whiny, helpless, "I only have worth based on other people's opinions of me" ninnies.


I do believe that if I want to be appreciated, I better darn well deserve that appreciation through humble service.

If I want to be respected, I better live in a way that is respectable.

It is said that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

If women only want a momentary sense of satisfaction, then squeak away. But, ultimately, this will be short lived and nothing with change unless you learn to appreciate who you are as a woman first, then act in a way that calls down upon you dignity and respect.

So, women, can we please take these word from Mulieris Dignitatem to heart?
A woman's dignity is closely connected with the love which she receives by the very reason of her femininity; it is likewise connected with the love which she gives in return. The truth about the person and about love is thus confirmed. With regard to the truth about the person, we must turn again to the Second Vatican Council: "Man, who is the only creature on earth that God willed for its own sake, cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of self". (MD 30)
 You first must open your hearts to love and in return GIVE OF YOURSELF -- therein lies your dignity based on love.

Today, I will not strike, I will not wear red. Instead, I will serve with love following the example of my Blessed Mother. Oh, and by the way, I'm wearing blue.

No comments: