Thursday, July 5, 2012

SCOTUS, ACA & Clinging to my Bible

When the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in favor of the Affordable Care Act on 28 June, I was away with my husband celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. It was a glorious time, until that decision came down and my stomach contents tried to come up. It was sincerely a visceral reaction -- one that made me shiver from head to toe. It was an admixture of frustration, anger and sincere fear for our future.

You see, I don't see this as simply the implementation of a system that undermines our ability to choose our own health care, to pay or not to pay for morally reprehensible treatments, etc. No. This is a Way of Life changer.

The way we function in this country has been unquestionably changed. The balance of power has shifted so significantly, and the Supreme Court has allowed the Executive Branch to take on legislative powers. Who needs a Congress? The President has his own power to pass down edicts, and the court, regardless of the rhetoric and the lies presented to the American people, will stand and uphold them.

In essence, what we witnessed from the SCOTUS was a complete reversal of how our constitutional government was meant to operate. There are no longer checks and balances. Why bother, when you can speak out both sides of your mouth --lie to the people and tell the court what is really happening; and the court doesn't care if you've sold the people a bill of goods if the facts you present to them are valid. That's simply unconscionable.

And, therein lies the problem. We as Catholics are arguing that this HHS mandate is an attack on personal conscience. But, let me tell you folks -- the SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA just revealed without a doubt that they are operating with a conscience in absentia. How can we expect our conscience rights to be protected when the body expected to protect those rights is neither informing nor calling upon the faculties of their own! (I don't buy into the idea that Roberts is a genius, I'll explain...)

It hearkens back to the old Dragnet shows: the facts Ma'am, just the facts. Regardless of what the the level of deceit had been prior to the arguments put before the court, regardless of the numerous public lies spoken by the President himself, recorded and easily entered into evidence in the case, "This is not a tax" was never given any consideration when the government attorneys presented ACA as just that, A TAX. Any person, responsible citizen, of good conscience would have told the government to take their thousands of pages of worthless IRS-esque documents back to the drawing board and come back with a document that clearly reads as tax code. START from SCRATCH. Wipe the law as written and write it in IRS agency jargon. We could have been done with this monstrosity of a law, and preparing to battle down any attempts to resurrect something of like nature in the future. Instead, we are implementing the tax.

Well, needless to say, I am still steamed about their decision to show such disrespect for the American people, the Catholic Church, and the Branches of Government. I had to blow off some steam. So, my loving husband, while we still have our Second Amendment rights intact, took me to the rifle range. It was my first time shooting; it was my first time with a .22 caliber rifle.





Now, all I need is to cling to my Bible, I guess. Not a problem for me.

Lord, protect us from those who think they know best what I need as a health care consumer, a woman and a Catholic. I pray that voices in unison with mine will be heard in opposition to this decision, in opposition to this administration, and in opposition to the tyrannical assaults against the dignity of the human person, conscience rights and true liberty.

God bless the American way of life!





1 comment:

Mary at First Cup Site Creator said...

Ugh. Everything you said X 100. But some people just do not "get it". They love being lied to and believe lie upon lie upon lie. They go to far reaches to justify and defend lies and will vehemently attack anyone who dares question. Personally I am disgusted with the Supreme Court.. but the voters created this mess and the voters need to fix it.