Sunday, May 13, 2012

Taking back Mother's Day

Mother's Day -- the one day a year where mothers are honored for having and raising a family. But, I get the impression that it's really just become another material/superficial holiday; one that maybe has lost its bearing in the tossing sea of our culture.

It  seems women have had enough of being mothers. Many treat it as something almost toxic. Contraception has led the charge in women deciding not to have families. And, God forbid there's a break through pregnancy; we have to have some solution, like the morning after pill and abortion. Motherhood can't get in the way of our success or what we want to do, after all.

Honestly, why should we celebrate motherhood? Hilary Rosen thinks we eat Bon-Bons all day, everyday, and Time Magazine portrays attachment mothering like something just shy of child abuse, so why make a special deal out of it on a Sunday in May?

I don't know. It just takes the joy out of the day knowing that  what I do isn't really respected by the culture.

I guess I could get all depressed and sulky at this point.

What good would that do? That's not what I've been called to do. And, since when do I allow the culture to dictate how I think and feel?

That's right, I'm taking back my Mother's Day!

This day is meant to Honor Thy Mother. How best to do that?

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women;
and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners now;
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Before I let anyone or anything sully the meaning of a day that has been set aside to honor mothers of all kinds -- rich, poor, weak, strong, noble, common, oppressed, elite, of large families and small -- I will remind myself of the most humble and chaste example of motherhood: The Mother of Our Lord, God, Jesus Christ -- Mary, Most Holy!

In this holy woman the day holds its true meaning. The Queen of Heaven rejoices, for He whom she did merit to bear, has risen as He said. Alleluia.

Let us transform the culture with a true and humble recognition of motherhood. Let us transform our own lives to model that Mother exemplar. And, let us also instill the radical concept in our children that being a mother has a higher purpose than just raising children for this world; our job is to raise them for eternity.

Happy Mother's Day!

In special recognition of the six beautiful children I hold here on earth, and the four who hold a place for us in heaven.




No comments: