Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wouldn't you like to be a "prepper", too?

Philosophically, I am not opposed to the idea of preparing for emergent situations. It's a wise idea to be ready. The Boy Scouts have touted this as a motto for over a century. Even further back in history, the Bible has Noah preparing for the flood, Moses preparing the people to flee Egypt, and  Jesus speaking to the fact that we need to be ready (Cf. Mt 25: 1-13) -- of course, He was speaking in more Spiritual terms, than temporal. But, the idea of preparing both physically and spiritually is a good one, and by no means new. We are body and soul, and we need to be prepared for whatever comes our way.

Tonight, I visited a website call American Preppers Network. It was suggested, at an outlet that I write for, that perhaps this phenomena deserved better attention. So, I took a look. And these words may come back to bite me later, but I laughed -- out loud. The definition of a prepper (which I wrongly thought was a carbonated beverage) according to the site, is:
Prepper (noun): An individual or group that prepares or makes preparations in advance of, or prior to, any change in normal circumstances or lifestyle without significant reliance on other persons (i.e., being self-reliant), or without substantial assistance from outside resources (govt., etc.) in order to minimize the effects of that change on their current lifestyle.
The picture in the banner shows an Amish farmer, fresh vegetables and longhorn steer. Now, last I checked, Amish were considered a religious cult, not just self-reliant (and they do shop at grocery stores and go to McDonald's). So, what exactly is this site espousing? Should we all start to live communally, hoard food, stockpile guns (you can hit the hot button for gun & archery clubs) and be ready to drink the Kool-Aid when the aliens arrive (God forbid)?

Perhaps some secluded back pasture land in Montana would be sufficiently isolated? Oh, about 1000 acres or so would work.

Seriously, there is much to be said about being ready. The idea of preparing for a catastrophe is not a bad one. But, we cannot exit the world to live an isolated existence. We are called to love our neighbor, to love him and not to abandon him. What good will it do to serve yourself at the expense of your neighbor? What world will you inherit if it should come to nuclear Armageddon? Won't you be alone with your canned goods, dead oxen and lots of ammunition -- if you should survive the fall out, that is?

I will stock up on band-aids and love, and have myself a little vegetable garden in the summer like I normally do. I will offer my neighbors the occasional pepper, tomato and sprigs of basil. My family will go about its business as if today were our last, living it to the fullest and preparing our souls for eternity. The self-sustaining Amish life on Green Acres is not for me.

I am called to be in the world, not of it. If God is with me, who can be against me? (Cf. Rom 8:31)


Preppers?

What are you afraid of?

You should be fearing God.

No comments: