Friday, February 24, 2012

Mother/Daughter Book Club -- Our First Selection

My daughter and I just recently joined a mother/daughter book club. I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive. I don't read much fiction, while my daughter can devour a book a day if left to her own devices. But, this sounded like a good way to do something fun with my daughter, and maybe continue to grow my interest in YA fiction.

The first book the girls chose was a classic called Daddy-Long-Legs, by Jean Webster. It's a series of letters written by an orphan who has lived in the John Grier Home for the majority of her life. Preparing to graduate high school and bet set out on her own, she receives an unexpected and wonderful gift of a college education from an anonymous benefactor, one of the sponsors of the home. The one stipulation attached to the gift is that the girl, Jerusha Abbot, write to her benefactor once a month about how her education is progressing. Jerusha, or Judy as she calls herself, doesn't just write once a month to the benefactor she affectionately calls Daddy Long Legs, she writes to him about everything.

Her letters are so entertaining. They beg you to continue reading. And, that's exactly what I did. I couldn't put the book down, wondering what her next letter would contain, what adventure she might take, or what her benefactor might require of her through his secretary -- he never wrote to her personally. What an interesting and unusual story about a young woman at the turn of the century...that is the last century.

I would highly recommend it as a read together, or read and discuss. I can't wait to talk to the other moms and girls at book club next month!

Have any good books to recommend?
Please, leave me a note in the comments!

1 comment:

Cindy Hudson said...

It's so great to hear about your new mother-daughter book club. If you're interested in finding out what other clubs are doing or looking for author interviews and book recommendations, please visit my site, http://motherdaughterbookclub.com. And when you get a chance, drop a note to join the conversation.

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate what you have to say. Will you share this post with others you know?