Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why I march

photo courtesy of lifesitenews.com
I don't want to march.

For so many selfish reasons, I don't want to march.

It's going to be cold and rainy tomorrow.

It's hard to manage children in such a large crowd.

My body will ache when I'm done.

I don't have boots that fit me, or pants, or gloves that are warm enough.

But, like I said, these are selfish reasons. And, I have this gift of reason because I was given the gift of life.

My mother didn't choose me. I was a gift of the Sacrament of Marriage, and I was welcomed into a family.

I don't want to march, but I will march tomorrow with my children, my friends, my co-workers at CDU, my parish and with thousands of others who realize that what is conceived is a life, a human baby, who needs to be protected.

I will march because our laws are fundamentally flawed when they fail to recognize the first most essential detail of natural law: "According to St. Thomas, the natural law is "nothing else than the rational creature's participation in the eternal law" (I-II.94).

 There is eternal law in which we participate. We are reminded by God what this means in the Ten Commandments -- lest we behave like our forefathers in Faith and forget what is written on our hearts that helps us to participate in a fully human way in the eternal law.

And knowing that my sacrifice of simple comfort tomorrow is necessary to help correct and bring into the light what is fundamentally flawed makes my marching the right thing to do.

Still, I don't want to march.

I don't want to march because I wish there was no need to march. I wish that the essential truth about life was recognized by all men. I wish that every life was loved and protected by those of us who have that very gift right now. And, I wish that the moral fiber of our country were stronger, more deeply rooted in personal dignity and human freedom. Life and its beginnings belong within the context of marriage. Because our society has accepted so many alternative ways of behaving that are incompatible with virtue and chastity, we have forgotten how to behave. We have forgotten what it means to be human, fully human.

I don't want to march tomorrow  -- but, I will because my conscience compels me to. I will hope that my prayer is answered and I won't have a reason to march next year.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mother of Life, pray for us.



March For Life 2012

No comments: