Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A lesson taught, a lesson learned

Sometimes we silly human beings make things so much more complicated than they need to be. We have rules; we have them for a reason. They help us to stay on the straight and narrow and assist our conscience in making right and just choices. Rules are liberating, but that is not what we are taught, at least on the secular level. So, teaching them from the proper perspective should be made clear and easy to understand.

Jump to RCIA class:

Thoughts inside my brain: The Catholic Church -- the institution most reviled for her moral rules. Try to teach those liberating rules to a group of people inquiring about the Faith in a way that will override the secular "free choice" theories that have been inundated with throughout their lives. Choose humor as a medium to convey a difficult teaching to take the edge off. Pray, breath, teach...

What came out of my mouth: Silly joke, misunderstanding and confusion! UGH!!! You know, sometimes its more virtuous and less complicated to be a straight shooter -- tell them the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God -- than it is to try and smooth it over somehow.

I'll be revamping that lesson for next year, believe me. It will be clear concise and to the point. Humor is one thing in it's proper place, it's a hazard when trying to teach a difficult teaching. For example, Jesus said, this is My Body; this is My Blood -- He didn't ease into it (this is not what I was teaching about). He just said it with charity and clarity! God bless me, I'll be keeping His example close at heart in my next session for RCIA.

2 comments:

momcloudy said...

Keep at it kathy! Ministers do this across the board we try to male it fireworks and awesome when..hey... God already did. This is a good reminder!! Thanks!

Kathy said...

Thanks, MC. I needed that. :o)