Sunday, December 25, 2011

Humble Advent -- Holy Christmas

It's Christmas Eve -- the anticipation is peaked. There's an energy and an enthusiasm that electrifies the atmosphere. It's joy! He's almost here -- and with Him comes great festivities, first in the Mass and then in the home to celebrate the Christ Child's coming, to embrace His indwelling Spirit and the benevolent gift of God the Father.

I asked God for humility as part of my Advent journey. He's given me countless opportunities to grow in this difficult virtue. I knew what I was asking for, I begged that I could managed what was to come in the reception of such a grace. And, I tried as I could to endure, always in His loving grace. (This Advent request would have been unbearable without total reliance on His grace.)

The fruits of this request have been immeasurable, transformative for myself and for my family -- perhaps even for those around us. In watching the Hand of Divine Providence move in our lives, we get to thank Him, from Whom all good things come. And, the best way to say thank you is in reverent and submissive worship -- the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass! Worship will be personally vibrant on Christmas morning.

It is for this reason and with heartfelt joy and gratitude, that I am able to wish you the most beautiful, wondrous and grace-filled celebrations of Christmas. Not just a "merry" Christmas, but a holy and humble Christmas. May the peace of the Holy Family and the grace of the Child Jesus be formed in the mangers of your hearts and remain with you always growing in age, grace and wisdom.

"And Joseph too went up from Galilee from the town of Nazareth to Judea, to the city of David that is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and family of David,to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.b While they were there, the time came for her to have her child, and she gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. (Luke 2: 4-7)

Blessed Christmas to all!

No comments: