Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Nine minutes and counting...

Silence is a wonderful thing. It starts the day off peacefully, serenely. But, after about an hour or so -- I've been up since 4:55am -- it becomes too silent for me.

I say my morning prayers, walk the dog among the crunching leaves on the dimly lit sidewalks, and let my mind contemplate things greater than myself. And, then I realize that what makes me greater than myself, this animating soul given me by my Creator, needs to take care of others. That lingering in silence "feeling" gives way to wanting the noise of little voices around me -- even the whiny ones, demanding ones, irritated ones. They are my opportunity to serve first within my own family. Those little voices are the future entrusted to me and to my husband. I want to hear them.

Nine minutes until their alarms ring and the day's organized chaos begins. This morning after much lingering in the love and peace of the Lord, I am eagerly anticipating their banter, their joyful noise to the Lord as they give one more day to His greater glory. God love them. It will be music to my rested soul.

Nothing gives me greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. (3 Jn 1:4)

2 comments:

Davin Winger said...

Sometimes I miss all that noise.

Kathy said...

Thanks, Davin. I'm glad I have a few more years of it here.