Thursday, September 8, 2011

Time spent wisely on the birthday of Our Lady





I'm finding it difficult to make time to write.


Anyone who knows me, knows I LOVE to write -- about anything: faith, food, politics...anything.

But, there has been a paradigm shift in my home, in my responsibilities, in my spiritual life.

I have three children at home who need to be taught. Not just reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic. They need to be taught what it means to be a wife and mother. They need to learn how to pray, how to run a house, how to make a budget, how to cook a meal, how to be a lady (this one is the most difficult for me to convey as a dyed in the wool tom-boy! -- so, I'm learning, too), how to respect themselves and become young women worthy of decent young men. They need to learn how to be loving neighbors and good citizens. 
Similarly, older women should be reverent in their behavior, not slanderers, not addicted to drink, teaching what is good, so that they may train younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, chaste, good homemakers, under the control of their husbands, so that the word of God may not be discredited. (Titus 2: 3-5)
These words must ring like a crystal bell in the ears of my children. They need to learn SO MUCH; I have so much to teach.


That requires a different use of my time -- a restructuring of priorities. It's a spiritual and a corporal work of mercy to raise a family. It's a means of sanctification. It's a privilege. This noble endeavor will require a little less "me for me" and a lot more "me for them".

Oh, I will still pontificate about any number of things that I read or hear, I just have to be more judicious about what I write and when.

On this Feast of the Birth of  Our Lady -- The Blessed Virgin Mary -- I will embrace my vocation as wife and mother. I hope that others will follow suit. Let none of us discredit God, but rather raise up God fearing, fine and respectable children who will change society to echo virtue, to remind a fallen world that our one hope is in God who made us.

Happy Birthday, Blessed Mother!

No comments: