Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A New Adventure For Our Family


This Friday marks not only the end of the school year for my girls, but the beginning of a new adventure in homeschooling for our family. Friday is also the IHM National Homeschooling Conference where I will put on my new "homeschooling mom hat", and browse the booths for curriculum materials, signing up for Kolbe Academy to hold my daughters' transcripts and meeting old and new friends from the homeschooling world.

I'm excited. I love my girls and am anxious to be their teacher. But, I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a bit of trepidation in me. It's been a LONG time since I homeschooled. Of course, it is offset by the fact that I have indeed done this before, but not for three kids at the same time. And if anyone cared to judge my organizational skills based on the order and cleanliness of my home, they'd worry about the education of my children.

But, I assure you, if I can get a MA with six children, major medical issues for myself and my family, and any number of other complications that came into play over the last seven years, I can get my act together now to put together a plan of excellence in Catholic Homeschool Education for my girls. The reason I can do this -- because I know that this is what God wants me to do, right now, right here, in our family. I trust that He is guiding every step.

So, Friday afternoon, the girls will spend the summer preparing to enter St. Philomena Homeschool Academy which will convene on the dining room table, in the kitchen, at their desks and in our parish and community. I have every hope that through the intercession of St. Philomena, powerful with God, that we will become the family, students, the school, the children of God, that He wants us to be.

Keep us in your prayers. We will miss our parish school, but we are not going away; we will simply be at a slight distance. And you will always remain in our prayers.

Kathy's Homeschool Prayer

Heavenly Father, Our love for you is sure;
Watch over all that we undertake,
especially in the education of our children.
We know they are entrusted to us
to teach how to know, love and serve You!
Please guide us, and keep us in Your Holy will,
as we provide for their religious development,
as well as their academic, cultural, civic & social development.
We can do none of this on our own;
we beg the intercession of Your Holy Mother,
Your holy servant, St. Philomena, and all Your angels and saints.

Amen.

No comments: