Saturday, June 25, 2011

How To Not Be A Good Neighbor

I don't like to title a piece "How Not To", but what happened to my husband last night definitely lands in this category and needs to be addressed.

We all do things that we regret, so I will start by assuming that the intention of the offending "unknown" neighbor was not meant to be hurtful, yet rude nonetheless.

My husband was out walking our pup last night, just as he has done 2 or 3 times a day for the last almost 2 years. And from a passing car, a random voice chimed out. Initially, my husband didn't make out the comment, but looked up at the grown woman and said, "What?" Again, she repeated the comment: "Do you have a bag?" To which my husband responded, "What's that supposed to mean?" She drove off. And this is "How To Not Be A Good Neighbor".

We don't know this person and apparently, she doesn't know us. We are not the type to walk our dog and leave our mess for others to clean up.

Now, I'm all for advocacy, don't get me wrong. When people are passionate about a subject, I certainly respect their freedom to make their passion known.

However, to be offensive, throw unwarranted comments out of a car window at unsuspecting pet owners  and making gross assumptions about a person's respect of community is horrendous. That type of behavior is juvenile and not indicative of love of neighbor.

Not everyone I live in  my community with is a Christian. I don't expect all of them to operate by Christian virtues or even values. I do expect them to have some common sense and civility.

So, just a bit of advice to whoever this person may be who behaved badly toward my husband: take a deep breath, get permission from the homeowner's association to create a flyer reminding people about their obligation to "scoop that poop" and then, remember we all have to live here together. There's a time and place for everything and advocacy out a car window is just bad form. No need to make law abiding, happy neighbors miserable and offended with your comments.

Ever have this problem? Leave a comment and let me know how you handled it.

2 comments:

Web design company said...

Really interesting topic and you have described everything very clearly. I learn few new things fro this post.

Kathy said...

Thanks. I think it's easy to forget how to be nice when passions take over.

I'm glad you came to visit. Come again!