Friday, May 13, 2011

Living CALM


I need to apologize for being missing in action. I have a really good excuse. My life is out of control in all the right ways.

I was teaching tenth grade girls about the beatitudes today -- "Blessed are the peacemakers, they will be called children of God." Well, that is definitely the beatitude that I have been living lately.

No, I haven't been breaking up fights, or practicing international diplomacy -- I have been  running around like a chicken with my head cut off, trying to accomplish the many end of year events, ceremonies, sacraments and obligations that I have on my plate.

That doesn't sound peaceful at all, does it? It doesn't even sound like it fits this particular beatitude either.

Well it does. Let me explain.

As I was teaching today, I told the kids, "When you are a peacemaker, you have an interior spirit of joy that will help you maintain a sense of CALM. (That's an acronym a friend of mine uses when teaching this info -- I'll get to it in a moment.) Your intention in living out this particular beatitude is to reconcile you and your neighbor to God. It can be applied to any life situation."

I think I paused for a moment consider this statement for myself. Yes, I have been experiencing the spirit of this beatitude. As much as I have had to handle, I have not lost my top, thrown my hands up in defeat, or torn the heads off my husband or my children. It has been peaceful chaos. And that fits with the beatitudes, which are paradoxical -- chaos doesn't sound calm, but it can be.

And the key is truly CALM -- remembering and living it to the best of your ability with the grace of God:

Christ
Always
Loves
Me

When you realize that, no matter what, God's grace will carry you through, and that even if it doesn't go exactly as planned, or you lose your cool momentarily, you are still a child of God. He forgives you for those minor lapses and loves you always. And, when you hold that in your heart, you will do the right thing, recognize your shortcomings, and apologize or give praise, whichever is appropriate.

So, I've been living the life of CALM; I've been trying to be a peacemaker. I'm not perfect, but it's nice when God gives you a little consolation, especially when you've been a little overwhelmed and have needed to make the occasional apology.  He knows you're trying hard, and that makes it all worth the effort.

In the meantime, if you could offer a prayer for my Lainie who will receive First Holy Communion tomorrow, it would be greatly appreciated. This is the next big event in our world, one that we have been anxiously anticipating.

And, I hope you will join me in remembering CALM -- and living the beatitudes fully in the world. It has to start in our own hearts first. Eventually we will reconcile others to God, and we will be called children of God.

No comments: