Saturday, May 21, 2011

A Catholic Perspective On the Rapture


If I even believed that the rapture should happen today, would I be among the chosen? (tongue in cheek)

Catholics don't believe in the rapture, although there are some interesting things to consider about being prepared.

Have I lived the life God wanted me to live, done the things God wanted me to do?

Have I answered the call to my vocation, raised my family as best I could?

Did I accept the sufferings, both small and large, that He has offered me for my perfection?

Have I loved my neighbor as God has loved me?

Did I give of myself generously to those in need?

Was I a good and loving spouse, friend, human being?

Did I keep His Commandments?

Have I worshiped with sincerity and humility?

I doubt that today I will be taken in the rapture, mostly because I believe that God wants all of us to be saved, not just a select few. He came for the salvation of all men (cf. Lk 2) and tells us that we will know neither the time, nor the place. But, He does remind us that we need to be prepared. (cf. Mt 25)

The best advice I have ever heard is this: receive every Communion as if it were your first, and live every day as if it were your last.

God bless all of you!

updated 5/21 -- 7:25p (and I'm still here!) based on some constructive comments from friends.

4 comments:

Peony Moss said...

Of course you won't be taken in the Rapture, because the Rapture isn't going to happen. It's un-Biblical:
http://www.zenit.org/article-7528?l=english

(Your point about being prepared is totally on target, of course :) )

Kathy said...

Peony (LOL) -- guess the tongue in cheek question at the start got lost in the relevant questions about living a good and virtuous life. But, the summation should have made it clear that I don't believe in the rapture!

Mary C. said...

I hate to say it, but I don't think I would do much differently. OK, go to confession. After that?

My son suggested we lay clothes out on the front lawn (as though we had been "raptured" and give the neighbors a stir). I thought that sounded more like a Halloween sort of thing... not a very charitable thing.

Fixating Christianity on the Rapture is I think called "Millenarianism" and even "Post-Millenarianism"where the idea is that Jesus "first coming" failed and so a "second coming" is needed to complete his mission and bring in the Kingdom. This kind of thinking is popular with some sects of Protestantism but not very popular in contemporary Catholicism... although the Christians of the First Century thought he would return in their lifetimes, and the Christians of the medieval Church more often expected the Second Coming.

I don't think Jesus' first mission failed...

Speaking of the Second Coming though -- little known fact: Christopher Columbus among others thought the Second Coming would be in 1600 A.D. To the medieval mind, 1600 was a perfect number and its symbolism was attractive. So why did Columbus sail in 1492?

One of his arguments to Isabella and Ferdinand was that *if* the Second Coming was in 1600, then Christendom had only 100 years left to spread the message of the Gospel to the rest of the world. The Spanish Crown bankrolled Columbus as a Charitable act -- they really did not expect he would find much, even though the Irish (monastics) and the Vikings (traders) had been to North America previously. Isabella and Ferdinand said they were doing this because they were thankful for their victories over the Moors and the re-unification of Spain.

I guess that version will never be taught in public school, will it?

Kathy said...

Mary,

Interesting comments. If you are doing what you are supposed to be doing in loving and serving God in His Church and in your neighbor, then you are in a good place...keep going!

As for what will be taught, most has been watered down to almost seem like a cartoon version of the facts.

I appreciate your input.