Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Feast of the Visitation -- A Special Day


Aren't all Feast Days special?

Well, of course!

For me, however, the Feast of the Visitation holds special meaning. Today is the 12th Anniversary of my Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary. This is a life changing devotion, and one that requires prayerful and careful consideration. I highly recommend that you consider it.

This loving devotion of St. Louis de Montfort is one that has been practiced through the centuries and his book, True Devotion to Mary, was daily reading of Blessed John Paul II. Mary is a gentle and loving mother who, in her womb, carried God. She carries us in the womb of the Church, as well, when we gather to worship her Divine Son.

I was pondering this today as the Mass was being offered. The compassion of Our Lady, newly pregnant with Our Lord, for her cousin Elizabeth is beyond words. What newly pregnant woman doesn't know the fatigue, the nausea, the changes that occur to the body that drain her of not only strength, but sometimes composure. And, Full of Grace, she must have been to not only travel the distance to her cousin Elizabeth's home -- a three day journey on foot -- but to then serve her in her need as an elderly pregnant woman. What a tremendous example of charity.

How could Mary be anything but charitable, when she carried Charity within her womb. And, that thought -- carrying Charity within her womb -- is what made me stop and observe the Church structure. Inside the Church, you and I are all carried; we all share in the Divinity of Christ through the Sacraments. We are in Our Mother's womb, nurtured and fed by the Word of God and His Body and Blood.

Nestled comfortably with that thought in my pew, I prayed during the Consecration in Adoration and supplication. I placed my needs on the paten and asked that it be His Mother's Heart, not my own, that welcomed Him in Communion. And before I received Him in the Eucharist, I prayed:

All that I am is thine, and all that I have is thine, my Loving Jesus,
through Mary, Thy Holy Mother.

Thank You, Jesus, for giving your Blessed Mother to us; Thank You for this amazing devotion.

May I continue to serve You through Mary for the rest of my days with love and humility. Please send many others to You through Our Lady and this beautiful devotion of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary.

No comments: