Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Need for a Plan of Life

Blessed Feast of the Epiphany! I had an epiphany, of sorts, myself this morning, praise God:  the Linky Party was not a big motivator. I thank those who did step outside their comfort zone and join me in trying to make it fun. But, I came to realize quickly that perhaps setting up a plan of life and making it public isn't fun at all. So, forgive me for my insensitivity.

Making a plan of life isn't easy, although I do find it helpful to create one and revisit it at the start of each new year to assess whether I have made any substantial progress from the year before. Then, I can pray about how my priorities need to change for the coming year. Without a plan, I am easily distracted and often cast off my goals. It's rather difficult to grow in virtue that way. And obedience to the discipline of daily activities helps to give order and creates the proper environment for the development of an interior life in Christ.

St. Francis de Sales offers this:

Do not wish to be anything but what you are, and try to be that perfectly.

and

Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections.

Laying out a plan for life is essential to me. It is also necessary for me to keep my family strong and focused on what is good and true. If I am scattered, the entire flock scatters; it's never a good scenario when I try to fly by the seat of my pants. Jesus reminds me in no uncertain terms that I must be vigilant and prepared, something I find difficult to do at times. It's easy to set goals and dismiss them, to find ways to make them comfortable and less demanding or, to just give up on them altogether. I must put them down and revisit them; its a constant reminder to me that these are things that in prayer were recognized as areas to work on and perfect.

St. Jose Marie Escriva reminds:

Without a plan of life you will never have order. (The Way, 76)

and

When you bring order into your life your time will multiply, and then you will be able to give God more glory, by working more in his service. (The Way, 80)

I do hope that this is helpful to rectify any confusion I may have caused with making light of resolutions. They are goals that are set for the betterment of our soul, the good of our neighbor and the salvation of all souls for the greater glory of God.

God bless you all!

No comments: