Saturday, October 2, 2010

Will They Eat This?


 Chicken again?

How many times does that question get asked in my home? The answer is: ALWAYS! I like to cook with chicken, it's typically well received, unless I make it several nights in a row.

Sometimes, it just needs to be given a little flavor pizazz. What's nice is that chicken is easily taken from bland to spectacular by using sauces and seasonings.

This week, I wanted to make the chicken look and taste a little more colorful. Indian -- think Indian.




Red Curry Chicken & Chickpeas

1 tbs olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbs curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbs ketcup
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbs apple cider vinegar

In a large skillet over medium/high heat add olive oil and chicken; allow to cook, but not brown for about 2 min. stirring often; add onion and allow to cook until dark brown (but not burned); chicken will look golden -- about another 4 min.; add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon and cloves, allow flavors to blend another 2-3 min.; add remaining ingredients and stir together well, cover and allow to simmer over medium heat for about 30 min.; serve over Basmati Rice and enjoy! (adapted from a recipe on allrecipes.com)

I love to take a recipe that looks delicious on paper and then tweak it's flavor to my taste while I'm cooking. I do that with almost everything I cook. The wonderful challenge that Will They Eat This? presents is having to measure the ingredients. I never measure -- unless I really have to. I eyeball everything. And, typically it tastes great. This particular recipe just needed few extras to give it that Indian curry flavor that I am used to tasting when I go out to an Indian restaurant. I really think I achieved that here. Although, an authentic Indian native might laugh at what I chose to add to create the flavor. I don't know. But, it sure did taste amazing.

The Stats:

2 out of the 6 at this meal -- 2 others tried a taste, the other 2 flat out refused and enjoyed rice and some plain chicken I had left out and sauteed separately in garlic, oil and herbs.

The Verdict:

I think this will be a meal I reserve for nights when Lyle and I will be the only ones eating. It was absolutely delicious. The flavor was a little too strong for the kids, although I did have two that would request it again, it didn't satisfy enough to make it worth adding to the weekly meal rotation.

GIVE IT A TRY -- TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

No comments: