Saturday, September 25, 2010

Will They Eat This?



This past weekend was so busy -- fun, but busy. I didn't do my normal BIG grocery shop over the weekend, so I ran into the store and found what I could that looked easy and picked it up. This recipe is one that my father used to make all the time. I remember turning my nose up at it as a kid. But, hey -- I was foolish and young and really didn't recognize how tasty these flavors were until I was much older.

My dad called this recipe Sausage, Potatoes and Peas -- kind of an uninspired title -- so, I'm going to give it a face-lift and rename it Sausage Casserole.


Sausage Casserole 

6 large white potatoes, microwaved until tender, skin on
2 medium onions, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbs olive oil
8 Italian sausage links (mild or hot)
3 cups water
1 can of sweet peas, drained (canned peas tend to be sweeter)
vegetable spray


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat, add water and sausage; pierce the skin of the sausage and allow to boil for 4-5 min.; drain the water and remove the sausage from the pan; pat the pan dry with a towel and place back on the stove over medium heat; add 1 tbs of olive oil to the pan; on a cutting board, slice parboiled sausage into 1/2 in thick slices -- a sausage usually yields 4-5 slices; place slices in the skillet and allow to brown about 2 min on each side; when browned place the sausage in a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet with the sausage drippings, add sliced onions & crushed garlic; allow the onions to become transluscent -- about 3-4 min. on medium heat; in the meantime, cut your cooked potatoes into chunks -- 1 potato usually yields about 12 pieces; Spray a 9x13 pan with vegetable spray and begin to layer your casserole components -- potatoes, onions & garlic, sausage, peas; place casserole in preheated oven and allow to bake for 30 min. Enjoy!

Potato Pieces

Sausage Browning in Pan
Sausage Casserole

The Stats:

Everyone enjoys this meal! Even with the peas. They are not so integrated into the meal that you can't pick a few out if you don't like them, but my kids really do like the taste combination of savory with a little bit of sweet.

The Verdict:

This is a meal that I hadn't made in a while -- one that I think I am going to add more regularly to our rotation. I like it because it's simple, and because parboiling the sausage makes it a great way to do a lower fat sausage recipe. Sausage can be healthy, right?

GIVE IT A TRY -- TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

No comments: