Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who Needs a Good Night's Sleep?

I prayed the Rosary last night, probably twice. I was in and out of sleep -- mostly out. I just couldn't relax, and it didn't matter that I had taken my natural sleep aid, either. Menopause can drive a woman batty, and right now I'm in the throes of menopausal sleep disruption, to include more hot flashes and night sweats than any women could want.

Why is this time of life so difficult? You'd think that God would have seen all the issues colliding: children growing and going; retirement; college, wedding and other similar expenses causing worry; beginning anew a relationship with your spouse that for so long has been based on raising children. Why would He add hormonal upheaval to the mix?

I can only come up with one reason: He knows best.

Perhaps it is better to have all these things happening at once. When the storm clears, the skies will look bluer than you ever imagined. It could be quite wonderful on the other side of this tempest, if the struggling is done in His will.

St. Paul offers this advice to the Romans:
Not only that, but we even boast of our afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance,and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope,and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy Spirit that has been given to us. (Rom 5:3-5)

I think I'll take it to heart. There is character to be built and hope as its fruit if I look for the good in these bouts of sleepless nights. God knows what I need; He is the Creator of my days and my nights. I will endure because I will not fall into despair. There is hope.

So, I look forward one day to the clouds parting. God knows, I have watched the gray skies part on many occasions in my life. Those times are what shore me up and give me resolve -- I already know that His love is far superior to any suffering that may afflict me.

Again, God reminds me through St. Paul that "all things work for good for those who love God,who are called according to his purpose" (Rom 8:28). This time in my life is working toward good because I do indeed love God. What a comfort that is, even though this can sometimes feel like a definite hardship.

One thing is certain, He has seen me through sleep cycles like this before and there is a medical answer if it gets unbearable. But, for now, I will offer this little suffering in my life for all those women, especially my friends, who are looking at a new arrangement in their relationships, their homes and their physiology. God's got you, and He's not letting go!

No comments: