Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Katie

When you have a child with special needs, finding a care giver that you love and trust is no small task. It is an agonizing process looking for that certain person that you know in your heart will love your child the way you do. Katie was that girl; sweet, loving, devoted to the Lord, an inspiration to my girls about what femininity looks like in a modern woman of Faith, etc.

Over the two years that she has been with us, Katie graduated from college, married her high school (homeschool) sweetheart, and became a mother herself. We became family, and we couldn't have been more blessed.

Now, having a baby of her own, she has decided to be a full-time wife and mother. I completely support her decision to do so. She is an excellent young mother who would find it difficult to divide her time. She is wise in her choice; her little boy needs and deserves her undivided attention.

From the time I was a young mother, until just recently, I held several part-time jobs. The best situation for our family was my work for the military medical school. I worked from home and most of my work hours were evenings, typically after bed time when families were able to talk on the phone and emails could fly without much interruption to home life. I stayed with that job for 13 years; it was perfect, it was rare.

So, I completely understand and respect Katie's decision. But, I have to tell you honestly that her presence in our home will be sorely missed. Her love of Eddie and her generous consideration of our other children was always a joy to us. She was a gift in so many ways. And, of course, when you receive such a wonderful gift, it is appropriate and necessary to say thank you.

Katie: We love you and we will miss you! THANK YOU for all you have done to serve Jesus in our family.

2 comments:

Darby said...

Okay, so make me cry why don't ya!? Seriously, I'm so grateful that you gave her this awesome opportunity to help with Eddie and to become a part of your family. She is so very fond of each and everyone of you! And I miss hearing about her afternoons with the Vestermarks. Hopefully, there will be many future visits and opportunities to gather together.

♥ Katie's Mom

Katie said...

Mrs. V, I'm touched by your post! Thank you. I'm really the one who benefited from those two years of caring for Eddie. I've learned a lot from both of you. I'll miss seeing your family on a daily basis, but I look forward to visiting with you soon!