Saturday, July 24, 2010

Will They Eat This? #25


I pulled out an old favorite (well, it became an old favorite when I was in my late 20's -- I HATED this meal as a child) that my dad used to make for us when I was a kid. We all used to turn our noses up at this dish and beg to just have shells with butter for dinner or PB&J. But, I had a craving for it the other night and, decided to give it one more try in the family.

You have to be a fan of Lima beans to enjoy this meal, or have never heard of them. Most will hear that dreaded legume's name and they won't even take a taste. But, really -- this is a taste worth trying.

Shells with Ricotta & Lima Beans (Dad's Recipe)

1 pkg of frozen lima beans cooked in salted water and drained
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
1 lb Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of Romano cheese
1 lb of medium shells -- cooked

In a large skillet, add oil, onion, garlic and lima beans over medium heat; stir until onions are translucent -- about 4-5 min.; season with salt & pepper; add to skillet ricotta cheese and milk, stir carefully to incorporate; heat through about 2-3 min. Place cheese and lima bean sauce over the hot cooked shells; sprinkle with Romano cheese (I also put a dash of cayenne pepper on mine) and serve.





The Stats:

1 out of 6 decided to eat this after giving it a try.

1 out of 6 flat out refused to taste it (made me laugh think about myself as a child with this meal placed before me.)

As if stepping back into my own childhood and living my reaction all over again, everyone turned their nose up at this meal. Wow, so that's how my dad felt when we all said, "Ewwwww!" I did make everyone give it a try (mean mommy). And even then, only one child -- the child who eats EVERYTHING -- asked for a serving. It is an acquired taste, but a very satisfying one, if you're willing to try it.

The Verdict:

You really need to like Lima beans for this dish! I love this meal, but I wouldn't suggest serving it to company, or to kids. My own taste buds took years to acquire a delight for this dish -- probably because several had to die off before I could enjoy a Lima bean!

This meal is wonderful with a glass of white wine on a night where you want something really simple and quick to make that is nutritious and yummy.

GIVE IT A TRY -- TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

DID YOUR KIDS WRINKLE THEIR NOSES AND ASK FOR PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY, TOO?


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

No comments: