Friday, July 9, 2010

Faith Facts Friday

This has been one very LONG week. It's easy to grow weary with the amount of work that needs to get accomplished (even with someone to help on occasion). Every moment seemed to be filled with something -- and, with sick kids and all that activity, is it any surprise that I got sick, too? Not really. I need a break, I should go and do something fun, right? That would be relaxing.

As this week finally wound down at around 7pm and after we had finished dinner, the thought of going out to do something fun wasn't even a consideration. We had just been too busy; we were all run down. Weary and finished are two great words to describe how I felt. But, the culture would tell me that something fun should lift my spirits -- maybe dinner and a movie, happy hour with the girlfriends -- but, really what I want is quiet time to think, pray and write.

I decided, because of how drained I felt at the end of this week, that I would pull from the wisdom of Dom Hubert von Zeller's, Holiness for Housewives (and other working women) on this subject. Busy wives and mothers need to enjoy the respite of the spiritual life -- here's why.

1.

Exhaustion, nerves, depression, and the sense of disillusionment are not peculiar to the present age. These things are probably more acutely felt at the present time than at any other times because everything in our highly developed society conduces toward them. If living in the senses and for the senses has produced the civilization in which we exist, it seems peculiarly futile to turn for relief and escape to those very senses that have been at the bottom of all the trouble. (pg. 49)

2.

A more sensible course would be to look in precisely the opposite direction and try to bathe the over-materialized spirit in the things of spirit and not in the things of matter. Weary bodies, frayed dispositions, broken hopes, dampened enthusiasms, and so on are not likely to get much good out of excitement. That is what they are suffering from -- the hollowness of a departed thrill.
(pg. 49)

3.

If we were to realize that God is our true rest, we would waste far less time running around looking for somewhere peaceful or pleasurable where we could throw off all our care and enjoy ourselves. (pg. 49)

This is good advice for both men and women!

So, I'm off to pray the readings for the day. Why don't you do something similar?

God bless.

1 comment:

Allison said...

I have in mind some women I know (myself on occasion?)who rush to their manicure and pedicure appointments, massage, facial, what have you, but who return not really seeming any better for the "me time". Thanks for the reminder that what we need is more "God time." And the self-control to make it happen in spite of the pressures of the world.

Hope you're feeling better soon. I don't know about yours, but there are no sick days in my contract! ;-)