Saturday, June 5, 2010

Will They Eat This? #19

Chicken dishes are typically a success in my home. But, when I made this chicken dish, I wasn't quite sure that it would be well received. I thought it looked amazing when I first saw it made. The smell will make your mouth water.

This dish has a decidedly Asian flair with a casserole style presentation. It is very easy to make -- really. Boneless chicken thighs were on sale so, I made this dish with only the thighs, but you can do legs and thighs together, too.

Philippino Adobo Chicken

1.5 lbs of chicken thighs
2 tbs olive oil
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup soy sauce
1 tb peppercorns
2 bay leave
2 tbs brown sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees; On the stove top, in a family sized skillet over medium/high heat, add oil and garlic and simmer for 1-2 min. -- do not allow garlic to brown; add vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns, bay leaves and chicken pieces; allow to cook for 7 min. on one side; turn chicken over and cook an additional 7 min.; add the brown sugar and let chicken simmer for 3-4 more min.; Remove bay leaves, and lay the chicken on top of the bed of rice (see rice recipe below); ladle some of the juice from the pan over the chicken and the rice -- no more than about 1/2 cup; place uncovered casserole into the oven for 25 min.


Rice


3 cups water
1.5 cups Basmati Rice -- rinsed
1 tsp salt

Cook the rice for 13-15 min until the water has all been absorbed and rice is tender; place the rice in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan; set aside.

I served this meal with broccoli to accompany the chicken and rice. You can certainly use any other green veggie -- broccoli is a favorite in my family.

The Stats:

6 out of 6 kids love this meal. The savory/sweet taste of the chicken is tantalizing to the taste buds.

The Verdict:

THIS IS A RECIPE YOU MUST TRY!!!

I knew the moment my kids reacted to the smell of this dish that it would be a winner. There are some mixed emotions about the rice -- I only use Basmati and not all of my kids like the nutty taste of that type of rice. I haven't tried this recipe with brown or white rice. Let me know if you do and what you thought of it.

Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

No comments: