Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our Resurrection -- Anastasia turns 10


Ten years ago today, my daughter Annie came into the world. She was a millennium baby -- that phrase was all the rage back in the year 2000. It's hard to believe that it's 10 years later. And, my millennium baby girl has become a sweet, empathetic young lady.

It seems each of my children have a birth story -- Annie's is, of course, as sweet as she is. I remember it was the beginning of June, and it was HOT! The kids were outside with their dad playing while he gardened. It was a Saturday and I had errands to run. At 36 wks. pregnant, just running one errand was exhausting and the heat wasn't going to make it any more pleasant.

I went to several different stores and got some things accomplished that needed to be done before the baby arrived. I was so thirsty as I finished up the last errand, so I drove to a little bagel shop in the same shopping center to get a drink and bring home "real bagels" for the kids.

As I got out of the car and stepped up onto the sidewalk, I was almost bowled over by a priest friend, Fr. M. He was picking up his cassocks from the cleaners to hurriedly get packed for his trip to Rome -- he was leaving that day. But, he took a moment to talk to me. It went something like this:

Fr. M -- Heeeeyyyyy! How are you?

Me -- Fine, a little tired and ready to have this baby!

Fr. M -- Is it a boy or a girl?

Me -- A girl.

Fr. M -- What's her name?

Me -- We don't have one yet.

Fr. M -- You better get one soon. You should call her Anastasia!

Me -- That's a pretty name.

Fr. M -- Do you know what it means?

Me -- No, what does it mean? (I'm thinking it's a lovely Slavic name)

Fr. M -- It means Resurrection! I've got to run. I'll pray for you in Rome.

Me -- Wow, OK. Have a great trip to Rome!

And, off we went in our own directions. I got my drink, the bagels, and surprised by a couple of pretty strong contractions. I knew I had better get home to get off my feet.

I drove up to the house to see everyone happily engaged in outdoor fun. It was really a pleasant sight. As I walked into the house with Lyle so that he could get a drink after working in the yard, I was stopped again by a contraction, and then again very soon after, and then again.

"Oh no," I thought, "here we go again." This was my eighth pregnancy, and I was no stranger to early labor.

I told Lyle to go find a neighbor to watch the kids because I was having pretty intense regular contractions.

He looked at me and said, "We don't have a name!"

I replied with a bit of a smile, "Fr. M says we should call her Anastasia -- go get the neighbor."

Well, Lyle and I both loved the name, and happily we did not have to use it that day. The doctors were able to stop my contractions and I was sent home to deliver our sweet Anastasia the following week. She was healthy and happy and a wonderful symbol of the life to come in her tender and innocent newborn face.

Thanks, Fr. M for the inspiration! It was an excellent choice. We'll never forget how you named our little girl with such certainty the day she almost really needed a name! What a wonderful memory for us to share with her.

Happy Birthday to our resurrection baby -- Anastasia, aka Annie!

5 comments:

Catholic Chicks said...

What a blessed day! I love her name and I wish a Happy Birthday!!

Kathy said...

Thanks so much for the comment, C. C.

We think it's pretty cool that she was named by a priest. The Lord obviously wanted to help us name her, don't you think!?

It is a GREAT name!

Blessings,

Kathy

Kathy said...

thank you for this mom!

love,
Anastasia

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Annie!

Love, KK

Anonymous said...

Kathy I love this story, and I love the girl with this beautiful name;) Cherie