Saturday, May 22, 2010

Will They Eat This? #17

Today, I had to do some shopping at our local Trader Joe's. I do love that store -- let me say how sad I am for you if they are not located somewhere close to where you live. I tasted a salmon taco that had a wonderful blend of flavors, but was just a little too heavy on the palate. As, I shopped for the rest of my items, I came up with a recipe in my head for a lighter version, with a slightly more Italian flair.

I came home and made lunch for the family. I wasn't sure exactly how this recipe would taste because it was conceived in my head and not tested in advance. I was also anxious to see the reaction to my family when I produced a salad topped, fish pizza.

Kathy's Salmon Salad Pizza

1 bag of butter lettuce & raddichio blend
1 1/2 lb Salmon Steak
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1 tbs sweet relish
dash cream of tartar
1/4 cup Bruschetta -- I used jarred, you can use fresh, too
1 garlic herb pizza dough

Bake pizza dough in a 425 degree oven for 15 min., remove from oven and allow to cool; lower oven heat to 375 degrees; in a small bowl mix together garlic, oil and Kosher salt, brush over the salmon; bake salmon for 15 min.; while salmon is baking mix together in a small bowl mayo, relish and cream of tartar to create a tartar sauce; when salmon has cooled, shred with a fork into bite sized pieces.


Baked Crust

On top of the cooled pizza crust, spread the tartar sauce mixture evenly over the crust; on top of the tartar sauce spread the bruschetta, also evenly over the crust; top the crust with lettuces and pieces of salmon. Slice and eat.

Toppings before Salmon

Salmon Topped Pizza


The Stats:

4 out of 6 kids really liked this meal. My largest child doesn't like lettuce so, he ate just the salmon.

The Verdict:

This was such a delicious and light lunch. I will definitely make this again.


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

2 comments:

Peony Moss said...

Which TJ's do you usually go to?

And that sounds... interesting. I have to admit that I'm not quite on board with this newfangled notion of lettuce on pizza....

Kathy said...

Peony -- Centreville TJ's.

Just think about the crust as croutons and the rest is easy! ;o)