Friday, April 30, 2010

Will They Eat This? #14

One of my favorite memories of growing up in and Italian family in New York was the aroma of spaghetti sauce cooking on a Sunday morning. I would wake to that smell nearly every Sunday, and to my father rustling about in the kitchen. And, every once in a while, my dad would braise a piece of steak, or pork and allow it to cook in the sauce all day. Oh, how wonderful it was when he would let me put some sauce on a piece of bread as a little snack. It was how we "tasted" the sauce to make sure it was good! That is such a happy food memory from my childhood -- unlike lentil soup which I despised, but now have learned to love.

I made a double recipe of Steak Pizzaiola the other night -- one for my family and one for a family in need of meals. It's such an easy meal to make, if you like tomato sauce, you will love it with a nice piece of beef in it, for sure.


You will notice that you will be braising the beef in the spices for Kathy's Pan Sauce -- I told you that this recipe had many different uses!

Steak Pizzaiola

2 lbs of Bottom Round Steak (it was on sale so, I snatched it up -- you don't need an expensive cut of meat for this)
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs each dried parsley, oregano & basil
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 of the crushed tomatoes can filled with water
1 tsp sugar

In a 9x13 baker, season both sides of the steak with the dry spices making sure that they are distributed over the meat well; in a large skillet, heat oil over med/high heat; add the seasoned steak and brown on each side for about 3-4 min. (you should get a nice sear on the meat); add the crushed garlic and allow to cook for about 1 min.; add the tomatoes and the 1/2 can of water; cover and bring to a boil for 5 min.; add the sugar and stir well; lower the heat and allow to simmer over low heat for about an hour -- until the meat is fork tender. Slice and serve.


I served this meal over Linguine topped with Romano cheese, but you don't have to use that type of pasta. The meal I made for the other family had Farfalle noodles (bow ties) which are a little more festive. I also served a salad and some garlic bread, but they didn't make the pictures this time around.

The Stats:

6 out of 6 kids feasted on this meal.

The Verdict:

This wonderful memory from my childhood will hopefully become one of the favorite tastes my children will remember from their childhood. Although, I don't wake up early on a Sunday morning to start my sauce, the smell of spaghetti sauce cooking in my home is common several nights a week.

I WILL be making this meal in my home again -- very soon!

Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

2 comments:

Nora said...

I also like to greet my children with the smell of sauce cooking on the stove! I make a similar sauce with bottom round steak except I stuff it. Use a meat tenderizer and pound the bottom round steak , put a few slices of Mozzarella, prociutto or ham, chopped parsely and then secure with kitchen twine or tooth picks. Very taste.
Thank you, Kathy!

Kathy said...

Nora,

Thanks for the comment. I also make it rolled with yummy things inside. I will often go for the thinner sliced steaks at the store -- pound them a little thinner and fill them with Italian hams, cheese and sometimes a chopped boiled egg. Braciole is the proper name in Italian. My dad used to make what he called a poor man's braciole which was like a stuffed meatloaf in the sauce...oh, so delicious. I will have to make that this week and see what the kids think...I haven't done it in a very long time!