Saturday, April 24, 2010

Will They Eat This? # 13

I had the pleasure of spending some quality time at dinner with my lady friends before we all went to an evening of recollection. It was so nice to just catch up on little things and enjoy some great conversation before we headed off to be silent and recollected.

I ordered a spinach salad with chicken, which was excellent. Every time I try a really wonderful recipe, I attempt to recreate it at home. Here is my interpretation of the salad I enjoyed at La Madeline.


Chicken Spinach Salad

The Chicken

2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tsp honey
Olive oil cooking spray

In a large storage bag, place chicken breast and the remaining ingredients; allow to marinate for about an hour, longer if you have the time.

In a small skillet spray the cooking spray, over medium heat cook the chicken breast for 3-4 min on each side, allow to brown nicely on both sides. Remove from pan and allow to rest on a cutting board for a couple of minutes. Slice thinly.

The Salad

1 pkg Spinach leaves
1 pkg of sliced white mushroom
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small can mandarin oranges
1 red pepper sliced
1/4 cup glazed pecans (found near the raisins)
1/8 cup of chopped dates

Wash and pat dry or spin dry the spinach leaves; place the leaves on a diner plate; add the mushrooms, oranges, red pepper, pecans and dates; top with bacon crumbles and chicken. Drizzle with Dijon- Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette. (recipe below)

The original at La Madeline has strawberries for the fruit, which is common in a spinach salad, but I like the more subtle sweetness of mandarin oranges, so I changed it up a little.

Dijon Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

1 tbs Dijon mustard
1 tbs honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

In a small bowl combine mustard, honey and oil; whisk until emulsified; add balsamic vinegar a little at a time and whisk until the dressing is becomes more liquid; (add salt & pepper only if you think it needs it.)

Serve with a crusty bread and enjoy!

The Stats

2 out of 6 kids liked this meal
4 out of 6 ate the chicken with veggies (I assumed only a couple of the kids would eat this)

The Verdict

This salad tasted delightful. I think it was better than the one I had when I went out. It was very satisfying with both sweet and savory components. I will definitely make this salad again.

Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

Come join the fun and add Will They Eat This? as a feature on your blog! Sign up below -- feel free to copy the graphic! Can't wait to see what you're making!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummy, I can't wait to try it myself, so how many weight watcher points is this going to cost me?

CS