Friday, April 9, 2010

Will They Eat This? # 11


One thing that typically drives my desire to make a certain meal is when I get a great deal on a particular cut of meat. This week, not only was there a sale on pork loin chops, but also on red peppers. My taste buds started craving Sweet & Sour Pork. It's very easy to make, especially when you use a jarred sweet and sour sauce, although I have tasted sweet and sour sauce recipes that are very good. I was just not in the mood to make one from scratch.

A flavor that I remember fondly from my youth -- and believe me, I ate A LOT of peanut butter and jelly instead of dinner when I was young, just ask my mom -- was Saucy Susan. Imagine my surprise as I was looking in the Asian food section for just the right sauce and found that jarred apricot sauce from when I was a kid. I didn't buy it, but it may have a place in the Will They Eat This? treasury in the near future.

Sweet & Sour Pork

1 lb pork loin chops cut into 1" cubes
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 shakes of cayenne pepper
2 tbs corn oil

In a wok or large skillet heat oil on high heat; in a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients; dredge the pork cubes in the corn starch mixture; place in the hot pan and fry for about 5 min, turning once; remove from the pan and set aside.

2 lrg red peppers, chopped in large pieces
10 baby carrots cut on the bias
1 lrg sweet onion
1 20 oz. can of pineapple chunks
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 10 oz. jar sweet & sour sauce -- I used a brand called Ty Ling
1 tbs corn oil

In the same heated wok used for the pork, add the oil, peppers, carrots and sweet onions and salt; sautee veggies for about 6-7 min over medium high heat; add the pineapple chunks, pork and sweet & sour sauce; stir for about 2-3 min. to heat through.


Rice

1 1/2 cups of long grain rice
3 cups of water
1 tsp salt

In a medium sauce pot, add the rice, water and salt, bring to a boil for 1 min.; reduce heat to medium/low; simmer for about 15 min. until the water is thoroughly absorbed.

Putting It All Together


Place the rice on the bottom of a bowl and spoon a healthy amount of Sweet & Sour Pork over the top of the rice. Enjoy!

Stats:

3 out of 6 kids ate this meal

2 out of 6 kids at least gave it a try

1 out of 6 kids flat out refused to touch it!

Verdict:

While the adults really enjoyed this meal, it was not a kid pleaser in this house. I might make it for company or family when they visit, but I'm not sure this one is going to make it into the menu rotation for us.

ANNOUNCEMENT & INVITATION

Would you like to join me in posting your recipes, stats and verdicts each week as part of Will They Eat This? I will be adding a way for you to join on next week. All you will have to do is copy the graphic and add your name and blog url to the list. Then, you can start sharing and have others come and check out your recipes, stats and verdicts!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied.
(Lk 6:21)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick recipe check - you have 1/2 jar of the sweet & sour sauce 10oz.
Did you mean 1/2 the 10oz jar? I used all of the 10oz jar.

Very yummy! 2 out of 5 ate the entire meal as is, 2 ot of 5 picked out the red peppers and ate the rest, the last one would only try the meat with ketchup - yuck!

It was delicious, I will make this again for my family. Cherie S. (can't get my yahoo to work??)

Kathy said...

Yes, I meant 1/2 of the 10 oz jar. But, I don't like it to be too sweet. I'm sure it was very tasty with the whole jar. I did put the extra sauce on the table if anybody wanted more. But, everyone stuck with the way I made it.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! Thanks for the comment, Cherie!