Saturday, March 13, 2010

Will They Eat This? Vol. 8

This week's recipe was inspired by a trip to the grocery store. As I passed the cheese kiosk, I saw a lovely wedge of Gorgonzola cheese. My mother would say, I got "la ula" -- the craving to eat it-- and so I knew I needed to come up with something wonderful to make with that cheese! Now, to most, moldy cheese is a turn off, but I love the tangy taste of Gorgonzola, especially in a sauce or on a salad. So, why not have it on both, I thought?

I decided I would make a Gorgonzola cream sauce with Broccoli served over linguine pasta. Cream sauces are so simple to make -- as long as you are dedicated to stirring and adding your milk slowly. (One must be patient when making a Bechamel sauce, if you don't want to end up with a lumpy mess!)

A bag of mixed leaf lettuce, a few red, ripe Roma tomatoes dressed with a red wine and olive oil Italian vinaigrette and Gorgonzola cheese and this meal is complete.

Gorgonzola & Broccoli Cream Sauce

2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
2 cups 2% milk
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
2/3 cup of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
2 cups of broccoli florets, cooked

In a medium sauce pot, melt butter and add flour slowly stirring constantly; add milk 1/4 cup at a time continuing to stir as you add (Don't Add All The Milk At Once -- it will be a big mess); the sauce will begin to thicken as you continue to add the milk; once all the milk has been incorporated, add the nutmeg, salt & pepper, Gorgonzola & broccoli. Your sauce will be done in about 10 min.

While you are making your sauce, in a large sauce pot filled with salted water, cook 1 lb. of linguine pasta according to package directions.

Drain your pasta and in a large bowl, mix your pasta and cream sauce. Top with a little Romano cheese and some red pepper flakes for a little kick and enjoy.

Salad Dressing Recipe can be found here. Just add crumbled Gorgonzola to your salad and tomatoes and you're done!

The Stats

2 out of 6 kids tried this meal -- like I said, most people think moldy cheese is gross, especially kids! If you have adventurous eaters, give this meal a try! It's really easy to make.

I had the presence of mind to keep some pasta separate and served it to the
6 out of 6 nay-say-ers with butter and cheese! Thank God for forethought!

The Verdict

Lyle and I both thought that we would like a little more Gorgonzola in the sauce. The next time I make this (for the adults) I am going to add some extra Gorgonzola crumbles on top of the pasta at the end to give that sharp, tangy Gorgonzola taste to the dish. Incorporating all of the cheese into the sauce seemed to mellow the flavor. Lyle and I both enjoy the bite of a good seasoned Gorgonzola.

This is a lovely meal to pair with a dry white wine.

Let me know what you think of this meal, I love to hear you personal stats and verdict! Come back and comment after you give it a try!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied.
(Lk 6:21)


3 comments:

Megan R. said...

Sounds delish to me! I make something similar with tenderloin steak tips and balsamic reduction. My kids won't eat it either... but I loves me some good gorgonzola cheese. Try this one for size, since you like gorgonzola (the recipe calls for roquefort or St. Agur... but I always use gorgonzola, and it is DELICIOUS!: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/roquamole-recipe/index.html

Peony Moss said...

....mmmm.... Gorgonzola....

Kathy said...

Megan,

I will definitely try that recipe -- it sounds amazing! If I can ever make it to another co-op meeting, it would make a lovely treat to share! But, you've probably already thought of that! You are an incredible cook.