Saturday, March 6, 2010

Will They Eat This? Vol. 7


This week demanded comfort food -- quick, easy and something that everyone would enjoy. If you just want to feel content and satisfied, you should give this meal a try.

Chicken Pockets a la Kathy

4 pkgs of Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls
2 good sized boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts (boiled)
1 8oz pkg of lite cream cheese
2 tbs margarine (I use Smart Balance)
2 tbs milk
1 tbs dried chives
salt & pepper to taste

Boil chicken for approx. 20 min. -- it should be cooked through; in a medium sized microwave safe bowl, combine cream cheese, margarine and milk, microwave for 30 sec. and then an additional 15 until cream cheese blends with butter and milk to make a spread; chop chicken into small pieces (I like to use my food chopper, or a processor to make it a fine chop) Add chicken, chives, salt and pepper to the cream cheese mixture.

Unroll the crescent rolls; use two triangles pressed together at the seams with your fingers to form a rectangle; place a generous tablespoon of chicken mixture in the center of the rectangle dough; bring the corners together and press the pocket closed until it forms a ball; place the pockets on a sprayed baking sheet. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 min. They should look like the picture below when they are done.



Sides

I served this meal with boiled, skin-on fingerling potatoes. I just add some margarine, parsley & Kosher salt to season. Toss and serve. These potatoes cook up in about 20 min in boiling salt water. Since they are whole potatoes, my kids will sometimes cut them open and put sour cream on it like a little baked potato. They are fun and easy.

I also made green beans. I used a frozen store brand, but made it just a little differently than package directions -- which typically say, boil until they are a mass of mush and look unpalatable. I boil my green beans in a skillet in salted water. When they are fork tender, bright green and still have a some crisp in them, I drain the skillet and fill it with cold water right over the beans. Leave the beans in the water only momentarily -- this stops the cooking process. Drain the cold water, add a little margarine or olive oil to the pan and return to the stove on low heat, toss the green beans in the oil and add a pinch of Kosher salt to taste. Green, lovely and delicious -- right out of a frozen food bag!

The Stats

6 out of 6 not only eat this meal, they devour it!

Lyle and I enjoy this meal, too, but not nearly as much as the kids.

The Verdict

This is definitely a kid friendly meal, one that many kids will think is pretty neat to eat. The pockets make this meal easy to eat with your fingers and, it's so tasty that these little bundles of flavor won't remain on your table long. This is a keeper of a recipe and one I would consider a "go to" on nights when you want to see everyone at your table clean their plates!

Let me know what you think of this meal, I love to hear you personal stats and verdict! Come back and comment after you give it a try!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied.
(Lk 6:21)

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Kathy, is this recipe in the St. Veronica's Feeding the Flock cookbook? My sister makes these and I think she said that is where she found the recipe. Ya think I'd know since I created the cookbook, but since that was 3 babies ago those brain cells are LONG GONE ;)

Kathy said...

Yes, I think I may have put it in there. This recipe is slightly different. If I recall, there are slightly different proportions. My kids like it with more cream cheese so we do a whole package instead of 1/2 a package. I never make a dish according to the recipe more than once. I usually tweak it to our taste. But, the recipe in the cook book is delicious, too.