Saturday, March 27, 2010

Will They Eat This? Vol. 10



This week I was hungry for batter dipped chicken, but I didn't want your ordinary batter. So, I came up with a beer batter using some average everyday ingredients. I also didn't want to deep fry the chicken, so I pan fried and then finished it off in the oven -- more work, less fat!

Chicken legs were on sale, so that became the part of choice to batter dip. Everyone loves chicken legs, especially the kids. You'll have to read on if you want to see if my kids liked them this way.

Beer Batter Bisquick Chicken Legs ala Kathy

Batter:

3 cups of Bisquick
1 bottle of good beer you would drink
1 egg
2 dashes of hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix ingredients together in a large bowl; beer may foam up when you first add it, try to add slowly so as not to create that foamy froth; allow to settle for a minute.

Chicken prep:

Make sure to rinse and then dry your chicken thoroughly; the batter will stick better to a dry piece of meat.

In a large skillet heat 1 cup of vegetable oil over med/high heat; dip the chicken in the batter; allow some of the batter to drip off before placing the coated chicken in the hot skillet; be careful to place chicken in slowly so as not to splatter the oil. Allow the chicken to cook for 5 min. on each side.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees; remove chicken from the skillet and place in a large baking pan; place uncovered in the oven for an additional 20 min.; Chicken will look golden, juicy and delicious.

I served this meal with spinach and mashed potatoes. Does anyone need a mashed potato recipe? I'll give you a great tweak to mashed potatoes: add 1/4 cup of sour cream when you are mashing, it's yummy!

Stats:

6 out of 6 kids loved this meal! It was just the right blend of spices and was super juicy and delicious.

All but 1 ate the spinach and mashed potatoes, too!

2 out of 2 adults thought it was tasty, too.

Verdict:

This is a new entry into the monthly standard fare. We really enjoyed this recipe. I am going to try it again when chicken breasts go on sale. I wonder how juicy the white meat will remain?

If you get a chance to try it with chicken breasts before I do, please let me know how it turned out!

As always, let me know what you think of this meal, I love to hear you personal stats and verdicts! Come back and comment after you give it a try!


Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied.
(Lk 6:21)

No comments: