Thursday, March 11, 2010

what DO you say? -- a collaborative post

My friend, Mary, and I are collaborating on a series inspired by a "passionate" blog post she wrote the other day that sparked a great deal of conversation. Since Mary and I both have children with profound and significant special needs, respectively, she asked me to offer my perspective on the matter.

You can read what DO you say? @ Passionate Perseverance.

For our family, Eddie is and will always be a joy in our lives. Despite all his challenges, physical and cognitive, he is one of the happiest boys around. We thank God for him, as we thank God for all of our children, even those He brought home to Himself before their birth into this world.


Eddie -- Age 15

On a related note, I have been involved in advocating for children with special needs and their families, and teaching appropriate means of communication to medical students for the past 13 years in the arena of medical education for the Armed Services. I just recently left my position at the Uniformed Services University to finish my MA in Theology. That doesn't mean that I won't continue to be an active voice with regard to issues that concern children with special needs.

2 comments:

Anne said...

What a handsome young man!! And to think, the 'experts' said that he would never get off the ground....I still remember coming and doing the patterning with that sweet boy, now man. Like Courtney, both have beaten 'odds'. It goes to show that God is really the only One in control and He knows the true path we are each to walk. Now to get the doctors to realize this and not have the 'god-complex' but rather they could give HOPE to families...because they just don't know everything.

Kathy said...

Anne,

It's women like you who made the difference in my reversion. Such faith, hope and charity! I know you understand, from being a part of our lives, just what Mary and I are talking about. Thanks for your prayers and your friendship. Eddie is pretty amazing, isn't he?