Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Highs and Lows

There were significant highs and lows today:

1. My daughter passed her peanut challenge after 5 years of being peanut free. She was excited, and so were the rest of us. It opens a whole new reality for my little Lainie. The days of worrying over playdates and birthday parties is over. And, the children are now free to make their own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches -- I held that task exclusively to myself over the years to ensure proper cleaning of the surfaces and no cross contamination.

2. My husband's friend and colleague passed away today after suffering several strokes last week. He was only in his mid-50's. From what I have been told by those who knew him, he had a zeal for faith, family and fun. It will be a difficult time for his family and friends as they try to come to terms with his unexpected passing.

All in all, we know that God is with us in our joys and in our sorrows. "Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom (of God) and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides." (Mt 6: 32-33) We need to remember that the answers to all our needs are found in the Kingdom of God. Continue to walk down the narrow path, in times of jubilation and in sorrow, trusting in His Divine Wisdom for your life.


St. Paul, a man who intimately knew highs and lows, reminds us that God gives the power to endure all things, good and bad: "I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me." (Phil 4:13) We may not always be able to fully understand why things happen -- why we were given the gift to be peanut allergy free when so many other children have to live with the scourge of food allergies, or why a spouse, father and friend had to be taken at this moment in time from a full life -- but, we can have hope and trust in the One who holds us in existence with His very thought. His promises are real! and He promises us life -- "I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live." (Jn 14: 18-19)

God bless you!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Hi! I found your blog of Catholic Mothers! And just wanted to say Hooray for your daughter passing her peanut challenge! We have a friend who's little boy has a severe peanut allergy and I have sensed her fear and anxiety many times over such seemingly simple things as having a playdate or sending him to preschool. So just wanted to say congratulations and Praise God! :)

Kathy said...

Angela,

Welcome to Faith on the High Wire! Thank you for your kind words. I know how hard it is to watch other children go so freely to activities and know that for your child, those same activities could result in disaster if someone simply offers the wrong food. Your friend needs to take courage that there are some children whose allergies do manage to abate. Tell her to pray with confidence, and love her son peacefully, making every safe opportunity for him to enjoy the good fruits of childhood.

I'll keep him in my prayers.