Sunday, January 24, 2010

Will They Eat This? Vol. 1

It's an age old question that all mothers ask: If I create this wonderful, delectable meal that makes my mouth water reading the recipe, will they -- those small, and not so small, people in my home with very particular palates -- eat it?

I have learned to ignore that natural instinct to go right for the Mac and Cheese, and am trying to introduce more sophisticated tastes to their flavor world. Last night was a modified version of the Spinach Salad Recipe off the back of a bottle of Wish-Bone Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette Dressing.

The modifications were slight, and the salad was excellent. Instead of the walnuts, since the vinaigrette contained walnuts, I added chopped dried dates. It supplied just the right amount of texture and sweetness. Also, instead of the natural "go to" goat cheese, Feta, I went for a smooth and creamy Chavrie. The greens are a mix called Tender Greens available from Dole.

The chicken seasoning is so simple and delicious, and courtesy of my mother, Eleanor, who has been seasoning our chicken this way for almost my entire life (cayenne was added more recently):

1tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil

Mix together all of the ingredients in a large storage bag with a tight seal, add chicken and toss so that the mix coats the chicken. -- I used bone-in chicken thighs for this meal (they were on sale).

Cook for 40-45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

I served the meal with sliced ciabatta bread.

So, did they eat?

The STATS:

Well, one child was missing -- Christian had a swim meet -- my guess is that he would have eaten the chicken, and would have gone nowhere near the salad. Bread, of course would have been a winner.

4 out of the remaining 5 ate chicken.

3 out of remaining 5 tasted the salad (this is a huge)

5 out of the remaining 5 ate the bread with butter.

Lyle, my husband with the adventurous taste buds, and I ate every bit of it. YUM!

The kids will learn to love all of these flavors as they begin to mature and their taste buds start to die off. I wasn't too disappointed with the stats overall.

The Verdict:

I will make this meal again. It was delicious, inexpensive and I think you will enjoy it.

Let me know if your kids will eat it!

And remember, it's okay to play with your food -- make a recipe your own and try to do it on a budget. It's FUN!


2 comments:

Kathy said...

nice dinner,mommy -- love annie

maRRa said...

I tried the Chicken tonight, I also put it on potatoes and roasted them, Very yummy!
All 5 ate it, I did cut the red pepper to 1/4, and at that still a bit of a bite, but
then they all drank there milk;) The little one ate the chicken, again with the ketchup!
I added fresh Parmesan over the potatoes. made them crispy;) Sorry came up with Marra, but you know who I am;)