Saturday, January 30, 2010

Will They Eat This? Vol. 2

It has snowed all day today in Northern VA. We were supposed to get 2-4 inches, and I think we landed on the high end of that estimate. It should have been a lazy day, but ended up being full of activity -- eye doctor, trip to the store to spend gift cards, and an unexpected, but fun-filled, playdate.

With all the activity, it was a very good thing that I went for the comfort meal in the crock pot today. I made pork roast in an apple, onion and carrot gravy with red cabbage and spaetzle. It was as German a fare as one could image, and my word, was it delicious.

Pork Roast Recipe:

3 lb pork loin roast
1 tbs Kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbs garlic powder
1/4 cup of olive oil

veggie/fruit:

1 cup baby carrots
1 med. red onion, roughly chopped
4 Granny Smith Apples
1 4oz container of apple sauce
2 cloves of chopped garlic

Place veggies on the bottom of the crock pot. Place roast on top of the veggie/fruit and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

Set crock pot on low and cook for 6-7 hrs.

I am a red cabbage snob, if there is such a thing, so it has to be a product of Germany. I used a jarred red cabbage called Barrel Red Cabbage by Gundelsheim. You may use any red cabbage that you enjoy.

The spaetzle is also a German product by Bechtle, but can be found in the International aisle of most grocery stores. (I'm not sure if you can find the red cabbage brand there or not.)

To create the wonderful veggie/fruit gravy to ladle over your pork and spaetzle, all you have to do is mix 1 tbs of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cold water in a small bowl. Bring the veggie/fruit juice that is left on the bottom of the crock pot to a boil in a separate pot, and add the cornstarch slurry. Return to a boil and allow to thicken -- this only take a minute or so.

The Stats

All members of the family were present for the meal (Lyle and I enjoyed every bit of it)

6 out of 6 ate the pork
4 out of 6 ate or at least tasted the red cabbage
5 out of 6 ate the spaetzle
3 out of 6 enjoyed the gravy

The Verdict

This meal was a SUCCESS! Actually, I have to be honest -- this meal is always a success. We make it often.

Let me know if your kids will eat it.

Remember: Blessed are you who are now hungry, for you will be satisfied. (Lk 6:21)

4 comments:

Darby said...

Who cares if my kids would eat your meal!! I certainly would! By the way, my kids, who I suppose are considered 'grown-ups' would definitely eat it and would probably even make it themselves! Because my paternal grandma was Hungarian and lived in Germany until she was five or so (she used to tell everyone she was German), my mom learned to make her own spaetzle. We had it often - along with red cabbage, sauerbraten, chicken paprikash, and other German/Hungarian culinary delights.

Anonymous said...

That tastes yummy. I have eaten it myself... In fact in Kathy's own home.

Anne said...

This recipe is definitely a keeper! The verdict in our house was out of 7 people all 7 ate the meal, 7 out of 7 loved the pork, but only 3 out of 7 liked the fruit/veggie part. The only change I would make next time is to peel the apple slices because the kids had issues with the "slimy peels". I ended up using a whole bag of baby carrots and I reduced the apples to three. It was so tasty and I know that the kids will really like the whole meal if they don't have to see the peels the next time. And, if they don't, they will have to learn to because this recipe is going to be in the rotation at our house! Thanks for the great recipe!

Kathy said...

Anne,

Thanks for reviewing the recipe. I'm so glad your family enjoyed it -- even if the apple skins were slimy!! Adapt it to the way it will be most enjoyable to your family.

Let me know your family's reaction to some of the others.!